All about the NBC TV series Heroes, as well as related comics topics.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Homecoming Thoughts

Well, while "Homecoming" was an exciting episode; on one hand it didn't really deliver what the build-up promised, but then again, what does? Kathy watched it a second time while I was out seeing Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (worth seeing if you're a fan of the D or Jack Black). As far as any thoughts beyond that, well, "life is what happens while you make other plans". One of my favorite comics writers Peter David has a review up that I mostly concur with, with an exception (speculation about "Six Months Ago", next Monday's episode, behind the cut as well, but click on the link and read it before proceeding, please)...
While like most people watching I figured that Peter P. would survive his encounter with Sylar because of his close proximity to Claire, Peter didn't know that. I tried to think if he was told of Claire's healing power and he wasn't. And it turns out Sylar doesn't need a sword, does just fine on his own.
This episode jelled for me why I like Heroes so much: each episode is a few pieces of the puzzle, enough to form a picture, but there's something on the edges you want to try to figure out what they are and what it means. If you only knew how many times I slow-played the promos and some scenes like they were the Zapruder film (which is a bad metaphor to use, today of all days).
And I still feel the same about Charlie. As Robert Fuller put it in Peter David's comment thread, "Screw the cheerleader, save the waitress." But as he also put it: "When taken out of context, that does take on a whole new meaning. I'm not sure how having sex with Claire would save the waitress, but it is a bit more thought-provoking (and amusing) than 'save the cheerleader, save the world.' I think I'm onto something."
And what of the next episode "Six Months Ago (SMA)"? One of the pieces of the puzzle that filled in with "Homecoming" was that Charlie was still memorialized, as the shrine to her was up. But no one specifically said that she was dead in the episode. As a long-time comics fan, I can tell you that unless you see the body (and sometimes even then), there is room for interperation. I don't think she disappeared with Hiro (or even if Hiro left), as no one said anything, specifically when Ando asked the waitress about the picture of the two of them. And the promo for "SMA"? Did you see Niki and D.L. in front of the grave for Jessica Sanders 1976-1987? And Niki choking her father? My speculation from that information is that Jessica was Niki's older sister (as Niki doesn't look older than 30) who looked up to her, and Jessica's death at a young age was due to physical abuse by her father, which sadly usually continued to other family members, and Jessica manifested in Niki as a result as a possible MPD. And when the power manifested, it was when Jessica was in control.
Of course, speculation is pretty much win-win for me. At this point, if I'm right, I can take pride in my intelligence and deductive powers. And if I'm wrong, it makes for an enjoyable show still, for who wants to watch a show where you guess what happens beforehand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home